A Dream Drive on Familiar Streets

I found myself in a car, surrounded by the familiar presence of my uncle, my brothers, and my sister. As we all settled in, I took my place beside my uncle in the front, while my siblings occupied the back seat. The car's interior was cozy, yet I felt an unspoken distance as I didn't turn to look at any of my family members. My gaze was fixed firmly ahead, through the windshield, onto the street we were traversing. It was a street etched deeply in my memory, a pathway from my childhood, each contour and corner evoking a sense of nostalgia.

The journey began with the car gliding slowly down the street. In my mind, my uncle was the natural pilot of our voyage, being the elder by some years. It seemed fitting, familiar. Yet, as we drove, my thoughts drifted into a tranquil void, a mindless state where time and responsibility seemed to blur into the background. The motion of the car, the hum of the engine, it was all a backdrop to my reverie.

But then, my uncle's voice broke through the stillness, gently yet unexpectedly. He asked if we could speed up, revealing to me a startling truth – it was I who was in control of the car. This revelation jolted me, infusing a sudden surge of alertness and a tinge of panic. My senses heightened, I now took stock of our surroundings with a newfound vigilance, ensuring the safety of our journey.

The street was narrow, flanked on both sides by parked cars – potential hazards in my suddenly heightened state of awareness. I steered the car with cautious precision, navigating the familiar yet now foreboding path. The farther we drove, the more the surreal nature of the situation dawned on me – I was in a dream, half-aware yet still ensnared in its narrative.

As we approached the crucial turn, the one leading out of the neighborhood and onto the main street, my grip on reality – and the steering wheel – began to waver. The car responded sluggishly, as if resisting my commands, each movement an effort. The turn became a slow, laborious arc, the car inching perilously close to the parked vehicles, a tangible threat in this intangible world.

My awareness of the dream state seemed to inversely affect my control over the car. It crawled torturously close to a parked pickup, the distance between them closing to a mere breath. With a final effort, I brought the car to a stop, narrowly avoiding a collision.

In that moment of stillness, I turned to my uncle, a confession of my unwell state on my lips. I suggested he take over, relinquishing control not just of the car, but of the dream itself. And just like that, as I passed the baton of control, the dream world faded away, leaving behind a lingering sense of what was and what could have been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Automatic Writing

Checking For Demons

Doggy Doppelganger